Thursday, March 15, 2007

Beauty fades . . . dumb is forever - Judge Judy

The muse for this post is the interesting range of responses I received on my last beauty related post - 'beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder'. That blog led to genesis of an informal tete a tete club with my girlfriends, and hence the creation of the sequel – kind of an epilogue.

The chitchat with my cronies revealed something alluring. Most of these women grew up with a strong, defined notion of beauty and brains. For the longest time, they looked down upon grooming and saw it as a reflection of vanity. They felt ‘grooming’ was for women who lacked intellectual abilities - ignoramuses.

Having said that, the same group now defines grooming, as 'taking care of oneself'. Most women I have discussed this with, say the same apologue; it was at that one point in their life that they discerned that it was high time. Funnily enough, most of them started feeling that way in their mid to late twenties. It was as if they had an epiphany.

Today, they think that a visit to the spa or having immaculate nails is incumbent upon them. I guess I am one of them too as I spent my last Saturday at one of my favorite spas, luxuriating in a temporary decadent and opulent life.

Do not get me wrong; these are all very smart women who DO NOT take advantage of their femme fatale to get ahead in life. In addition, none of them is an aging prune either.

What bewilders me is the cause for this conversion - who, what, when, and why transfigured the existing ideologies of all these women?

Copyright © 03.15.2007

I'd be interested in your comments and thoughts!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the pressures of city life my dear. taking care is no longer an option. it's necessary.

Anonymous said...

Very good write up. I really enjoy your writing style & well thought out points.

Beauty & brain both are God's gift....we all should take care of it. Now women are smarter to know that exercising, eating right & taking care of physical appearance that what makes them healthier & that makes up a healthy society...it is even better that they are realizing that in their 20s not in thier 50s ;-)...look at Nancy Pelosi, Susan Serandon , Diana Ross ( I think she is in her 70s), Rekha, Hema Malini in India....& the list goes on.

Anonymous said...

It 's the age factor.

Anonymous said...

The problem is beauty dies ..........and ugliness never dies!