Thursday, September 6, 2007

Soi-disant - Am I traversing through vegetarianism?

I know this post will chagrin my family deeply. I get this image of them feeling almost abashed with their jaws dropping in despair, disgust and helplessness—kind of like “what did we do wrong?” It’s like I turned my back on my own. Okay, I did exaggerate a little there. See, my family is not umbrageous or malevolent, but it is full of soigné, comestible lovers who not only attach importance to good food but extol their ability to procure the best that’s out there. Meat definitely falls very high on their list. Most members of my family love animals, BUT dead, on their plate.

Elucidation for my epiphany: Even as a kid, I was never fond of red meat. In India, goat meat is considered a legacy (meat connoisseurs apprize it) and considered enormously popular. I recall squirming and telling my mom, “It tastes too real—like an animal”. I have vivid memories of my cousins sucking and masticating onto the bone marrow (remember, it’s a legacy). It was unintentional, but I would get queasy at the sight of them holding a bone; forget them gormandizing on it. One of my cousins’ would literally chomp on the chicken leg as if it was the flesh of the animal that he was indulging in and before you knew it, his hands would be empty. I found it extremely barbaric, but I guess he relished it.

With age and time, I have become more cognizant about how pernickety I am about non-vegetarian food and how easy it is for me to feel disgusted. One of my closest friends calls me a “fake non-vegetarian” since my list of “what grosses me out” supersedes “what gives me pleasure.” Here is what I can’t deal with when it comes to non-vegetarian food:

Red Meat
Animal meat with bones—only boneless for me.
Processed Meat
Ground/Minced Meat
Non-veg with even the remotest hint of “the animal taste” in it.
Washing any kind of non-vegetarian item
Chopping up boneless

Doesn’t quite leave much, does it?

I have to admit: my alacrity to watch “Fast Food Nation” and “Super-Size Me” has augmented my existing contemplation. When you see what goes on in the animal slaughter world (the cruelty, the debasement and the abuse), you get coerced into second guessing yourself. Is ignorance bliss? Having said that I want to make a confession-- few chicken entrées have a certain je ne sais quoi that I find very appealing -- “butter chicken,” “chilli chicken,” “boneless buffalo wings” and “chicken lollipop.”

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there going through the same dilemma and confusion.

Copyright © 09.06.2007

"I want my food dead. Not sick, not dying, dead" - Oscar Wilde

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

quack quack. chuckle chuckle. that's for me.

Curious said...

:)) I have never been in such a dual state...have always loved non-veg, dead

Anonymous said...

My dear, no true buffalo wing lover can cross to the other side.:-) i have faith.

Anonymous said...

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed, but when it comes to feed your child who tends to be low practically on everything a mother can even kill an animal, just kidding I think I pushed it! I am glad your list did not include fish or will it be on a separate blog, since fish is not an animal. Keep writing, I enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

"I have to admit: my alacrity to watch “Fast Food Nation” and “Super-Size Me” has augmented my existing contemplation. When you see what goes on in the animal slaughter world (the cruelty, the debasement and the abuse), you get coerced into second guessing yourself. Is ignorance bliss?"

yes, yes, yes...ignorance is bliss. you are questioning something you grew up eating we all live once. enjoy....

Anonymous said...

"I was wondering if there is anyone else out there going through the same dilemma and confusion."

ihave goign back & forth between meat eating and leaving. masla chicken with oil and spice makes me want to eat meat.

Anonymous said...

I realy dont like meat. Only thing I cant resist is - Steak, cooked rear, with blood dripping :)

Anonymous said...

I am all about the oscar wilde quote in your post and nothin' more.


"I want my food dead. Not sick, not dying, dead"