Thursday, September 27, 2007

Jet—is this airline really set?

Okay, this isn’t an insidious effort at creating a rather tacky tagline; what it is, is a reflection of my inner turmoil. Here is why: I have always been a stalwart supporter of Jet Airways. Like most other Indians, I was both jubilant and beholden (to the airline God?) when Jet Airways started their Newark to Bombay non-stop flight on August 5th. Granted I wasn’t delighted about the exclusion of JFK, but hey, this was a sign for things to come. The august presence of my favorite “desi” airline in the skies – imagine it whizzing through euphonious brume and over Brobdingnagian oceans. For those of you who watch “Scrubs”, the main character and narrator, J.D., lapses into his day-dreaming mode every now and then. The action is archaic and trite but beguiling at the same time. So, I digressed and had a J.D. moment.

Here is how the story commences: my in-laws decided to fly Jet Airways when they visited us this past August. It seemed like the perfect choice—elite airline, professional crew well—versed with the needs of Indian parents, scrumptious food (at least in the domestic sector) and most importantly, great flying time. If I am not wrong, with the stopover in Brussels, the flying time is only 16 hours. Almost magical! I remember thinking to myself, “this is incredible-- an airline for the people by the people. Like India’s democracy.” Okay, another J.D. moment. Anyways, upon their arrival, elatedly I asked my in-laws about their “Jet Airways” experience. They expressed their immense dissatisfaction with the airline.

When my in-laws reached Bombay a couple of days ago, I asked them about their Jet Airways experience on their flight back home. I was hoping against hope that Jet wouldn’t let me down. Au contraire to popular belief, my vivid imagination and Jet Airway’s magnificent reputation back in India, the service in the international sector is appalling. The staff was conceited, inattentive and arrogant and their service was abysmal. They barely served meals and that too meager portion; they were inconsiderate of any special dietary guidelines you provided them with at the time of the ticket purchase; finally, they had the audacity to be condescending.

Well, they call themselves the “finest airline in Asia” while their attitude is reflective of the “lowest budget airline in the world”. What an oxymoron!

I wonder why Jet Airways has positioned itself like a thrifty traveler’s international airline. Have they not been able to dissociate themselves from Jet Light (the brand extension created after Jet Airways acquired Sahara Airlines)?

I do not know about others, but I am not feeling too much love for this particular airline at this time and hope I do not ever have to fly it internationally. A random quote comes to mind as I near the end of my post -- "There may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only 4 ways out of this airplane."


Copyright © 09.27.2007

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

air idnia must be their inspiration.

Curious said...

One of my friend flew Jet Airways recently and she was delighted with the service...not sure

Anonymous said...

i love Air India!

Anonymous said...

It is not always easy to get best of both worlds.There is a rat race for insensitive services from chain of BUDGET AIRLINES.Your comments are without flying on Air Deccan for example.But they are no reformers or missionories.Choice is that of customers.

Anonymous said...

I find you love using (sometimes inappropriate and misplaced) long words. Ok, so you think you know English? Try this one.
> >
> >
> > Can you decipher this:
> >
> > Two individuals proceeded towards the apex of a natural geologic
> > protuberance, the purpose of their expedition being the procurement of a
> > sample of fluid hydride of oxygen in a large vessel, the exact size of which was unspecified.
> >
> > One member of the team precipitously descended,sustaining severe
> > damage to the upper cranial portion of his anatomical structure; subsequently
> > the second member of the team performed a self-rotational translation,
> > oriented in the same direction taken by the first team member.

> > in simple English what does this translate to ????

Anonymous said...

"n simple English what does this translate to ????"

no idea what twocents will decipher. i decipher you are a 'fraid, fat frustated fellow:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous (the 'fraid, fat, frustrated fellow):
The crap that you wrote is rather easy to decipher. As a matter of fact, a much better job can be done at it than what you did. For starters - when you are trying to re-write a nursery rhyme, atleast try to have it rhyme!!! In any case, it was a rather sad attempt to translate "Jack and Jill" AND you completely missed out the second portion of the original!!!

Come up with something better the next time......

Anonymous said...

Totally rubbish

Anonymous said...

Good post.