Thursday, June 21, 2007

Is thirty the new sixty?

Date: A beautiful autumn day
Day: Friday
Time: 11:20p.m.
Location: Bryant Park—Misty night embellished with resplendent stars
Activity: Snore symphony orchestrated by a bunch of us slouched on slovenly chairs

Date: Friday, June 15
Time: 12:35a.m.
Location: Alcove - luxuriating at a friend's while indulging in scrumptious ice cream and invigorating white wine.
Scene: 1/3 rd of people present, felt enervated

The aforementioned scenarios are not an exaggeration of a burlesque you'd see at 'Bob's House of Comedy' but an ironically facetious situation that few of us were in.

I would like to think of myself of as someone with a blithe spirit despite what the clock has to say—like the 'let's party dude,' type; off late, I feel like a laggard. I call Friday as ‘fried-day’ because veraciously speaking I am fried by then. Until about a few years ago, my friends and I were like nocturnal animals, painting the town red until wee hours in the morning --sometimes on a weekday too. Now, a cloud of dormancy encompasses us by 11-11:30p.m.We are roused to movement by sharp caffeine.

Most of my friends feel age is catching up with them. Mind you, these people are not senior citizens but in the age range of 26-35 years. Much as I would like to repudiate with this axiom, I agree with them. Why else would I have spent last evening at my favorite spa? I am cognizant that we live in a taxing day and age and that is why I wonder if thirty is the new sixty. Maybe I am conjecturing, but I do not know otherwise.

Any thoughts?

Copyright © 06.21.2007

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the base message that you convey, but I'd state it as Thirty being the new Sixty (and not the other way around). What do you think?

Anonymous said...

According to your post thirty is the new sixty.....
But just to have a dialogue about your title I would say sixty is old 45 (maybe)...look at Nicle Kidman , she just celebrated her 40th & looks as beautiful as she did a decade ago. Couldn't have imagined Indian movie stars looking like that when they turned 40 ( I mean Meena Kumari etc.They still acted because there were not that many choices) Now I hear Madhuri is making a Bollywood movie...more power to her.

My two cents said...

I am in total agreement with both of you. Thanks for pointing it out. It was a crack-of-the-dawn blooper:-)

Anonymous said...

true... but maybe we need to rethink the definition of hanging out and having a good time.. I think atleast part of the problem is that we're starting to get bored with the kind of stuff that defined fun when we were younger?

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you but i have fun doing stuff as a grownup my dear. it's not boredom but i do get tired.

Anonymous said...

This is what we call the result of burning the candle from both ends.A day has only 24 hrs and which has to be rationally apportioned between work, leisure and other normal chores including sleep.Barring occasinal variations within limits, illogical approach would lead to disaster alone.

Anonymous said...

keep it up baby...

Anonymous said...

OMG! that totally happens to me all the time!!!

Anonymous said...

"I think atleast part of the problem is that we're starting to get bored with the kind of stuff that defined fun when we were younger?"

yo venus, whatcha ya talkin' about? i am curious. what i did as kid thank god i am not doing that anymore. that would totally suck man!

Anonymous said...

You said it girl!

Anonymous said...

My "real age" was 30 when I was blessed with my daughter, thereore, I am afraid I cannot relate to your experience! :)

I was then having such a great time playing with her that I didn't even have time to get bored.

There is an old axiom, "Age is a question of mind over matter; if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!"

Anonymous said...

wow man! you had a kid at thirty!

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais

Anonymous said...

A 19th Century British Poet, Henry Davies wrote "What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare."
I think its time one stopped spending one's whole life looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. In striving to reach a goal, we don't enjoy the journey!

Unknown said...

Two things here
(a) what we do for 'lets-party-dude' at the age of say 16 as different from what we do for 'lets-party-dude' at the age of say 30...
(b) age… day… date... are all subsidiaries of the man-made "concept" of time, aint it? so if one would think that they needn’t be governed by what age should dictate to them, then why should the day dictate the state of our mind... but then again, its not the time nymphs who dictate/govern our minds, but quite simply happen to correlate/coincide to the mind's fatigue...

Not if, but when this happens to me, I would think it was time for a vacation... where I'd experience culture, art and 'life'…which btw, is something I feel promptly every 6 months! …like a mind’s clock :)

Like there is just so-much the human body can physically allow, so also, there is just so-much the human brain & human mind can allow. We take care of our physical health, so why do we think that our mental health can go on and on and on without rejuvenation?

And if we try to go against the basic requirements of either, its like trying to build something against gravity. Well, it would work somewhere for sure… just not on earth! :P