Monday, June 4, 2007

I Hate Tumors! I hope you do too!

This past Sunday evening few friends had organized a soiree - launch party of their new website. For people who are well-versed with my life, your guess of what the launch was about, would be: literati meet, or a desi convention (music/books) or just an evening in a convivial atmosphere with my coterie and a glass of white wine. Never in a million years could you have guessed what it really was about. The website was launched in the memory of my friend's crony, Heather. Unfortunately, about a year and half ago, Heather died of cervical cancer at a young age of 28.

One of Heather’s friends wrote her a poem, around the time the final verdict came in from the doctor; Heather had three days left to say adieu. The emotions in the poem were so raw and unfeigned and she had such a pellucid way of writing; I didn’t snivel, but sobbed incessantly. Heather’s death made me realize that sufferers are of two kinds: the ones who deal with physical agony (patient) and the remaining lot who deal with life’s tribulations (people who are left behind mourning their dear ones).

I don't intend to make this post morbid, but it's time women took matter in their own hands. Let’s get proactive and not reactive. Most women pay no or minimal heed to their own health until it's too late; there are few others who either live in a bubble of denial and/ or live with an ‘I am immortal’ attitude. Well, it’s time for reality check. Do you know that cervical cancer is the major cause of cancer deaths in women in many developing countries? Cervical cancer is caused by several types of a virus called human papillomaviruses (HPV). HPV does not see age, color, or race; it corrodes the foundation of your life.

This post is not a scare tactic. I beseech every woman out there to make an appointment with her doctor today. Get tested ladies. Men, if you share even the remotest concern about the health and well-being of your mother, wife, daughter, sister, or even a friend, please spread the word. Tumors can kill and cervical cancer is not the most easily detectable one.

In case you are wondering, I do not represent any politically-inclined interest groups; I hope this post will snap you out of your inertia and persuade you to make the call. It’s in your hands.

Copyright © 06.04.2007

Gandhi: "Live as if you'll die tomorrow; learn as if you'll live forever."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That is scary!

Anonymous said...

That is awful! I agree with you. most women don't take their health seriouly. they go to a doctor after falling sick. why wait?

Anonymous said...

great piece my dear. i hope women get motivated after reading it and do something about their health.

Anonymous said...

I sincerely believe,the readers shall take the message positively and translate into action.

Anonymous said...

Nice one.Women should really understand this if not now then when??

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this. i have forwarded to others as well.

Anonymous said...

my dear, if this doesnot convince them then nothing will. i really like this one.