Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Can you take India out of an Indian?

The last few days have been a pleasant ride into patriotism land. Literally, all activities that I indulged in have been reminiscent of propitious weather and reeked of India – like the sweet smell of mud that lingers on providing all with a snug blanket of warmth, when it’s bestowed upon with the first monsoon of the season.

A ride into my desi emotions: Last week, I went for a book reading by Anupama Chopra. Her new book is on the “King of Bollywood” aka Shahrukh Khan. The evening was remarkable—small get together, invigorating aperitifs and delectable hors d'oeuvre. The reception was rather stately and the venue, baronial. I soaked in as much South Asian cultural heritage as a human possibly could, in one grand evening. Chopra, a petite, mirthful, cogent and cordial film critic and book author, was basking more in Indian glory than her own eminence. When someone asked her if Indian directors were going to make movies that basically catered to people in the west, with utmost grace and stellar confidence she responded in the negative. She reiterated that Bollywood is content with the audience it has at present and doesn't feel the need to alter its style to cater to a new audience. She also confirmed that Sony Entertainment is coming to Bollywood and making a movie “Bollywood-ishtyle”. She veraciously spurted out these words in a non-grandiose way even though a big chunk of the population comprised of Caucasians.

Ride two: On Friday, few of my friends and I went to watch the newly released Hindi movie, “Chak De”. If you haven’t seen it already, I would absolutely recommend watching it. I had no idea that a simple movie about women’s hockey could stir up such strong allegiant emotions and evoke an intense response. Absolutely splendid!

To be candid, on one hand, I love where I live now; on the other, I apprize India with my heart and soul. Every year around the Indian Independence day, I feel unrest and turmoil. Today is India’s 60th Independence Day and that makes me nostalgic. I remember the flag hoisting to free sweet distribution to the patriotic songs that we would sing as kids.

I am not the kind to display my emotions in public but irrespective of where I am, the Indian national anthem gets me misty eyed. It touches that cord which nothing else does. I truly believe you can take an Indian out of India but not India out of an Indian.

Any thoughts?

Copyright © 08.15.2007


"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

could not agree more...

Anonymous said...

wish i could wear desi clothes to work today

Anonymous said...

In Balmiki Ramayana, Lord Rama makes a profound statement, "Janani Janmabhumishcha Swargadapi Gareeyasi" ("The mother and the motherland are like paradise"). However, since I also strongly believe in the philosophy of "Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam" ("The entire universe is one family"), I don't recognize man-made, international boundaries any more than what is mandated by laws.

Anonymous said...

"I am not the kind to display my emotions in public but irrespective of where I am, the Indian national anthem gets me misty eyed."


for me it is AR rahman's vandematarm...

Anonymous said...

i saw a man in sahara india t-shirt today. happy independence day. you said it two cents. you can't take out india out of an indian.

Anonymous said...

East or West, India is the best!!!

Jabtak suraj chaand rahegaa, Bharat tera naam rahegaa!!!

Anonymous said...

India rocks!!!!

Curious said...

Very nicely penned down...Jai Hind

Anonymous said...

rightly said rishi. very true.

Emily D said...

I wonder if every nation's people feels that kind of patriotism. I'm happy to read, however, that no matter where your life is taking you that you'll still be rooted to and proud of, where you came from.