Saturday, February 21, 2009

An ode to memories

A few days ago, my husband and I got back from an exquisite, enjoyable, and adventurous vacation in Cancun. The color of the sky and the water were a mirror reflection of each other. From a touristic perspective, I wouldn’t categorize Cancun under “One of the places to see before I die.” It’s enjoyable, period. Spain, Greece, Italy, Tunisia and Turkey (from my perspective) fall under the “Got to see it category” and boy, are they beautiful! Nevertheless, the philosopher in me had to find out the mystique and allure behind this “Land of blue waters,” and the reason why I appreciated it more than I could ever imagine.

Let me back track a bit. A couple of weeks ago, I signed up for a workshop on, which in a nutshell is, tapping into your altered states of subconscious mind. It promises to be an enriching experience for anyone who works in the creative field. Anyways, in the first class, the professor asked us to fill out a questionnaire. One of the questions required us to share one of our fondest childhood recollections. I am a proud Indian to the core in so many ways. Sharing my personal side with strangers (sans a friend in the class) always makes me squirmy. Maybe because we (people who grew up in India) didn’t have the notion of therapy growing up (A solid foundation of family and friends were enough to solve your problems)? So, I wrote down childhood reminiscence, which was amusing but completely random.

Back to analyzing the trip: Every iota of my being felt happy and at peace in Cancun. I let the azure waters embrace me completely. That was a surprising act because I grew up swimming in the Mediterranean Sea, so I rarely value any other salt water body. “Atlantic is too cold; Pacific is too rough; rest of the water bodies are a joke” etc. etc. Nothing is ever good enough for the waterphilic in me. But that wasn’t true about Cancun. As I frolicked around in magical blue, I realized what made Cancun so special for me: it brought back fondest memories of my childhood—those days and nights of untainted bliss with our family and friends on the gorgeous Mediterranean barbequing, picnicking, dancing, chatting, and eating. There was cheerfulness everywhere along with timeless peace. So many of the friendships I formed during my growing up years are even today an inherent part of me.

Cancun exuded the same idyllic energy. A feeling we urban dwellers rarely get to cherish. What can you do; life takes over. Consider this blog post as an ode to people who created such warm, conducive, affectionate memories for me and to the people who recognize their significance for my existence.

More until next time.
Xoxo

Copyright © 02.21.2009

“Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us” - Oscar Wilde

No comments: